AJA Video Systems has released Desktop Software v16, a free update that introduces new features to AJA’s lineup of KONA, Io, and T-TAP products, such as High Dynamic Range (HDR) signaling over SDI, expanded IP video functionality, support for the just announced T-TAP Pro Thunderbolt 3 output device and increased compatibility with the latest hardware and operating systems.
Desktop Software v16 includes compatibility updates for the latest macOS, Windows and Linux operating systems, including support for macOS 11.x Big Sur, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Redhat/CentOS 8 and continuing support for Windows 10 updates. Desktop Software v16 enhances and expands support for high-end computer hardware, including certified compatibility of AJA PCIe cards and Thunderbolt devices with the 2019 Mac Pro and AJA PCIe card support for Supermicro X11DAI, X11SPA+TF and X11DPG. For IP video workflows, v16 also increases compatibility with NMOS compliant devices by updating to NMOS 1.3 and adds improved troubleshooting capabilities with new LLDP support for KONA IP, Io IP and Avid ArtistTM | DNxIPTM.
With Desktop Software v16, HDR over SDI is available on select AJA KONA and Io products, and the new T-TAP Pro device. The included AJA Control Panel software features a redesigned HDR tab, offering controls for HDR to be signaled via both SDI and HDMI simultaneously. New HDR capabilities for AJA Control Room and AJA Control Panel include the addition of HDR metadata capture and HDR auto playback detection for ease of use for critical monitoring applications. To further streamline AJA’s leading 8K workflows, the v16 update also adds KONA 5 8K monitoring and output capabilities for Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer.
Additionally, the new AJA Software Development Kit (SDK) v16 for OEM Developer Partners is also available and targeted at simplifying encoding and high-end 12-bit/HDR workflows. SDK v16 introduces 12-bit workflow enhancements for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G, including support for Color Space Conversion and LUTs when working with 12-bit material. New KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G 8K bit file updates provide developers with access to 3G multi-link options, in addition to 12G, plus new 4:2:0 planar support for encoding solutions, saving time and money through the enablement of direct capture or output of 4:2:0 material without requiring transcoding.
AJA Desktop Software v16 feature highlights include:
- Support for the new T-TAP Pro portable Thunderbolt 3 output device, featuring 12G-SDI and HDMI 2.0 for 4K/UltraHD on macOS and Windows.
- Expanded OS compatibility, including macOS Big Sur 11.x, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS, Redhat/CentOS 8, and Windows 10.
- Certified compatibility of AJA PCIe cards and Io devices with SuperMicro X11DAI, X11SPA+TF, and X11DPG.
- Breakthrough HDR over SDI support; VPID signaling is now available for SDR/HDR transfer characteristics over SDI on KONA, Io, and T-TAP Pro.
- HDR metadata/transfer characteristics for capture and auto playback detection.
- New 8K optimizations for capture/playback on macOS, Linux and Windows, including KONA 5 8K support in Apple Final Cut Pro and Avid Media Composer.
- 4K closed captioning support in AJA Control Room on KONA 4, 5, Io 4K Plus, and T-TAP Pro.
- ST 2110 updates on KONA IP and Io IP; NMOS update to 1.3 and LLDP support.
- Expanded functionality on AJA NMOS application.
- Dynamic FPGA firmware reconfiguration, providing rapid firmware switching.
AJA SDK v16 feature highlights include:
- 8K bitfile updated; added quad- and dual-link I/O via 3G-SDI and 1.5G-SDI (multi-link I/O) for 4K to the – 8K bitfiles for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G.
- 4:2:0/4:2:2, 8-bit/10-bit, 3-planar I/O, for integrating SDI 4:2:2, 10-bit I/O with 4:2:0-based encoders/decoders (8-bit or 10-bit).
- 12-bit workflow enhancements for KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G.
- Custom HANC play-out capability with KONA 5 and Corvid 44 12G.
AJA Desktop Software v16 and SDK v16 are available as a free download.